12/23/10

And Again My Soul’s Dreaming All About You -ALEKSA SANTIC


Aleksa Šantić

Aleksa Šantić
BornMay 27, 1868
MostarAustria–Hungary
DiedFebruary 2, 1924 (aged 55)
MostarKingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes
OccupationPoet
NationalitySerbian
 all over what was later to become Yugoslavia.
As a Serb who embraced the form
 and the sentiment of the traditional Bosnian love ballad
 he was a pioneer in attempting to bridge the national
 and cultural divides,
 and in his lamentation of the erosion of population through emigration,
 that was the result of Austrianoccupation. 
This combination of locally rooted,
 transcultural sensibility
 and a dedicated pan-Slavicvision
 has earned him a special place in the pantheon of South Slavic poetry.
He was strongly influenced by Jovan Jovanović ZmajVojislav Ilić and
The topics and images of his poems ranged from strong emotions
 for social injustices of his time to nostalgic love.
 His poems about Mostar and the river Neretva 
breathe pure Bosnian and Serbian patriotism
 and are considered particularly beautiful. 
Šantić wrote a number of love songs in the style of the Bosnian
 love songs, sevdalinkas
His most well known sevdalinka is Emina (female Bosniak name),
to which music was composed and it is often sung at restaurants 
Aleksa Šantić, a village in Serbia is named after this poet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And Again My Soul’s Dreaming All About You 


And again my soul is dreaming all about you, 
And my heart is breaking and longing for you,
And your infidelity is going away,
Like when a dark cloud leaves the sky alone.


And again you’re pure to me, brilliant, serene, 
The vision of you warms me with a bliss, 
So I’d again throw myself into your bosom
And watch your eyes smile sweetly.

The same way a slender fir that got struck with lightning 
Still looks up at the sky waiting for more living, 
And don’t think: the sky is carrying clouds 
That will bring new thunders…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I opet mi duša sve o tebi sanja,
I kida se srce i za tobom gine, 
A nevjera tvoja daleko se sklanja, 
Kao tamni oblak kad sa neba mine. 


I opet si meni čista, sjajna, vedra,
Iz prizraka tvoga blaženstva me griju, 
Pa bih opet tebi panuo na njedra 
I gledô ti oči što se slatko smiju.

Tako vita jela koju munja zgodi 
Još u nebo gleda i života čeka, 
I ne misli: nebo da oblake vodi 
Iz kojih ce nova zagrmiti jeka…

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A NOTE,PLEASE

ONE LOVE